2‑component adhesives are also known as reactive adhesives or structural adhesives. They are characterised by the fact that they cure not because a substance such as a solvent or water evaporates, but because of a chemical reaction. It is absolutely essential for the two required components to be dosed in the correct mixing ratio and for them to be homogeneously - in other words evenly - mixed. It is preferable for 2‑component adhesives to be solvent-free.
Recipes with the following chemical bases are by far the main ones that are marketed as adhesion systems:
- Epoxy resin (EP)
- Polyurethane-forming (PUR) systems, i.e. polyoles and crosslinking agents
- Methylmethacrylate chemistry (MMA)
These structural adhesives are the preferred solution for applications in which very high strengths are expected from adhesive joints. These structural adhesives are primarily used to join high-strength materials such as bare, coated, painted or pre-treated metals, and composite materials such as glass-reinforced plastics (GRP + SMC) or carbon fibre-reinforced plastics (aramid, carbon, CFC) to either the same or a different type of metals/composite material, and to other solid materials such as ceramics or glass materials.
2‑component adhesives from technicoll® have proved to be extremely successful in the following applications:
- Lightweight construction, both metals and composite materials
- Vehicle construction/transport (cars, railway vehicles, aircraft)
- Mechanical engineering, apparatus, appliance and housing construction
- Medical technology
- Electrical and electronic production
- Assembly bonding
- Technical consumer goods (household appliances)
- Prefabricated elements for construction
- Doors and gates
2‑component adhesives require a special way of working. In addition to manual or mechanical dosing and mixing, working from double-chamber cartridges (also known as side-by-side cartridges) has proved to be a successful technique. In these cartridges, the two components are packed separately from each other. There are mixing ratios of 1:1, 2:1 or 10:1 parts by volume, depending on the recipe. The two components are pressed in equal quantities through a static mixer (mixing tube) by suitable dispenser guns, these being either manual or pneumatic. The mixture is then immediately applied ready to work with onto one of the materials to be joined. The second material can then be joined, and the parts only need to be fixed by the time the adhesive cures.
In the video below we show you how simple it is to work with 2‑component adhesives:
- Defined curing time
- High-strength joints are possible
- Most are highly resistant to chemicals, ageing and temperature
technicoll® supplies a broad product range for different applications, constructions and materials. The various technicoll® structural adhesives not only differ in terms of their raw material basis. Different properties/recipes are also available:
- Short or long working times (for small applications or larger surface areas)
- Consistency from thin to highly viscous
- Joint characteristics from brittle-hard to impact-resistant
- Colours transparent or dependent on the raw material
- Thermal resistance and resistance to chemical media
The extensive range of the technicoll 2‑component products allows for many different types of adhesion joints.
The technicoll® structural adhesives are available in double cartridges containing 50, 200 or 400 ml, in tubes, cans, tubs and drums. Besides 2‑component adhesives, the technicoll® range also includes the associated accessories such as mixing tubes, dispenser guns and cleaners.
The respective raw material basis that is used, together with the resulting adhesive properties, is crucial to the selection of the chemical basis.
Particularly good adhesive properties on:
- Blank metals
- Composite materials such as GRP, CFC, CMC
- Phenols (HPL, DKS)
- Ceramics and glass
- Derived timber products
Different properties such as hard, visco-plastic, elasticized, media-resistant etc. are available, depending on the recipe. The by far most common mixing ratio of 1:1 parts by volume is especially popular. Working methods from manual mixing through to (static) mixing tubes are possible.
- is a versatile 2‑component epoxy resin adhesive
- has a long working time
- is suitable for large surface areas
- has a very high elongation at break and possesses visco-plastic properties. This makes it particularly suitable for withstanding sudden dynamic stresses
- has a short working time and is therefore suitable for bonds on small surface areas on a very wide range of materials
- flows well
- reaches its handling strength at room temperature after about only 25 minutes
- is a paste-like, 2‑component epoxy resin adhesive for filling joints
- is very resistant to heat and chemicals. Its good resistance to heat means that temperature stresses of up to +150 °C are possible (depending on the substrate and the stress)
- is black in colour
- is popular for use on composite materials
You could not find the right adhesive for your application?
technicoll® offers more epoxy resin adhesives with different charactersitics.
Polyurethane adhesives (PUR) differ from the aforementioned epoxy adhesives particularly in terms of their adhesive properties.
These are particularly suitable for:
- Painted and coated surfaces
- several derived timber products
The available recipes allow bonded joints ranging from soft to elastic to impact-resistant. The mixing ratios found here are for the most part 2:1 parts by volume. Other recipes are also possible, depending on the recipe. Here, the range of working times extends from a few minutes to one hour. Working methods from manual mixing through to (static) mixing tubes are possible.
· is a fast-curing 2‑component polyurethane adhesive
· is as clear as glass once cured
· is UV-stable
· forms a flexible joint
· is ideal for bonding thermoplastics, glass and painted/coated surfaces and metals.
You are looking for a different requirement?
We offer more than only one polyurethane adhesive.
Especially good adhesive properties on material combinations of:
- Blank metals
- Thermoplastics (e.g. ABS, PC, PMMA, PS, hard PVC)
- Duroplastics (e.g. GRP, CFC, SMC)
- Primed and painted surfaces
- Many other materials
In recent years, the modern technology of methylmetacrylate (MMA) has become firmly established for 2‑component systems. Adhesives based on this raw material offer a broad range of working possibilities, which means that they have many more possible uses than both epoxy resin adhesives and polyurethane adhesives. At the same time, lower but nonetheless sufficient strengths are obtained compared with EP or PUR systems. The mixing ratios for these adhesives are 2:1 or 10:1 parts by volume. The very fast chemical reaction of between 2 and 10 minutes allows them in most cases to be used only on smaller surfaces or strips. This makes these adhesives popular for quick series applications and for working on small parts. Systems with a static mixing tube are required for the application.
- is a universal 2‑component MMA adhesive
- is highly viscous
- is very temperature-resistant
- cures quickly
- is suitable for joining different substrates such as composite materials, laminates, many thermoplastics, duromers, metals and coated surfaces .
- is a solvent-free, 2‑component special adhesive for filling joints
- was specially developed for the structural bonding of substrates such as PE, PP, POM that are difficult to bond
- fills joints as deep as 10 mm
- cures quickly, making short cycle times possible
- is visco-plastic, which gives it good resistance to dynamic stresses
- has very good resistance to temperature, ageing and media
- is suitable for primer-free bonding of different substrates such as composite materials, many thermoplastics, duromers, metals and coated surfaces.
You have a special request of your application?
technicoll® offers more acrylate adhesives.
The technicoll® brand has been synonymous with quality and safety for over 50 years. Thousands of users, technicians and engineers have been relying on these many years of experience in bonding technology for decades. In addition to the high quality standards of the products, technicoll® offers users extensive bonding-related and adhesive-related advice.